Who's doing it right?
So what does a good internship look like? We break down the features with plenty of examples, companies treating interns right and reaping the rewards. But what does it take to land a good internship? And can a good one still be unfair?
This one is for the companies! We uncover the 5 vital ingredients in a good internship. From application to orientation to exit interview, what exactly goes into a good internship? We talk to two top ranked companies from the Internships Australia annual rankings. We hear how they hire and what they give to and get from their interns.
Up to now it’s all been on the interns, but companies have a lot to gain and little to give when it comes to internships. Colin McLeod, Investor, director and innovator tells us why companies should pay attention to interns, and ShineWing Australia tell us what they do to hold onto good interns once they accept an offer.clue: crazygolf!
How do you recognise a good internship? We talk to Internships Australia about thier accreditation scheme, and hear from former interns that turned their time into a job, and hear what their good internships was really like.
If you have any stories about burnout or how you got intern life under control we would love to hear them. Send them to: email@example.com
Companies, rankings and jobs boards mentioned in this episode:
- ShineWing Australia - Accountants and business advisors: http://www.shinewing.com.au/
- Finity Consulting, Actuarial and Insurance Consultants: www.finity.com.au
- ANZ Bank, Graduate and intern program:
- Interns Australia, Advocating Fairer Internships: https://internsaustralia.org.au/
- Global website, with Australian opportunities: www.gradconnection.com
This episodes features contributions from the following people and organisations.
- Lauren Berger, CEO/Founder InternQueen.com: https://www.internqueen.com/content/about-lauren-berger
- Tony Tam, Actuarial Analyst with Finity: https://www.linkedin.com/in/tony-tam-06976357/
- Pieta Spencer, people and Culture advisor at ShineWing Australia: https://www.linkedin.com/in/pietaspencer/
- Amanda Camilleri, BPCA Consultant at ShineWing Australia: https://www.linkedin.com/in/amanda-camilleri-b697b2101/
- Anders Furze, writer, critic and journalist: https://www.andersfurze.com.au/
- Professor Colin McLeod, Master of Entrepreneurship, Faculty of Business and Economics, University of Melbourne: https://www.findanexpert.unimelb.edu.au/display/person82179
- Cholena Orr, Graduate and Generalist Banker Program Manager, ANZ: https://www.linkedin.com/in/cholenaorr
- Jack Kenchington Evans, Industrial Officer, Lawyer: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jack-kenchington-evans-2514b590/
- Charis Palmer, Deputy Editor/Chief of Staff, The Conversation: https://theconversation.com/au/team
- Mary Trumble, Client Solutions Manager, LinkedIn Australia: https://www.linkedin.com/in/marytrumble/
- Michelle Lau, Intern at Keep Left PR, Melbourne: https://www.linkedin.com/in/michelle-lau-95884b124/
- Rem Tzambasis of NAB, manager, Strategic Partners and Programs: https://www.linkedin.com/in/rem-tzambazis-86b47930/
- Grace Chen, final-year student studying the Bachelor of Commerce at the University of Melbourne: https://www.linkedin.com/in/grace-y-chen/
- Vivian Gleeson, Business Development Officer, Burnet Institute: https://www.linkedin.com/in/vivian-gleeson-1a2390128/
– Episode 7
Supervising producer and
Dr Andi Horvath
Buffy Gorrilla is an award-winning audio journalist and a recent graduate of the University of Melbourne’s Master of Journalism programme. Buffy has been a producer at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's (ABC) Radio National and ABC Radio Melbourne. Following a successful internship, Buffy is currently working with RN’s Blueprint for Living. She is also the producer for the Masterclass podcast from the University of Melbourne Centre for Advancing Journalism.
Ben Pawson is a communications professional that helps organisations and leaders connect to their stories. With experience across the education, arts, disability, science communication and technology sectors he did an internship in fundraising in Scotland after an MBA in France before that worked on blue chip design and marketing projects before changing careers.