Day one – what to wear, when to turn up and how to get started
You’ve got the gig. Now what? We show you how to put your best foot forward, and figure out what that foot should be wearing. From research before you get there, to what time you should arrive through to dealing with first day nerves, we’ve got you covered.
Hosts, Buffy Gorrilla and Ben Pawson, talk to Interns about their first day, what happened, where is the printer? What was the password again?
We go through how to set expectations, and what companies are expecting of you. HR professionals give us tips on what to bring, and what not to bring, and how to stalk the company and find out who is who before you even get there.
We show you what a good orientation looks like, and give you a solid strategy for dealing with the nerves that you can do in the bathroom cubicle!
And if you have any day one tips to share, experiences you want to get off your chest, send them all to: email@example.com
We would love to hear from you.
Some of the companies and websites we mentioned in this episode:
- Reviews of companies and interview processes: https://www.glassdoor.com.au/index.htm
- NAB, and their several channels of internships: https://www.nab.com.au/about-us/careers
- CASE – Council for Advancement and Support of Education: http://www.case.org/
- STAKE – Fintec company allowing Aus investor to buy USA shares: https://stake.com.au
- ANZ bank – Summer Intern program: https://www.anz.com.au/careers/programs/summer-intern/
This episodes features contributions from the following people and organisations.
- Alexandra Alvaro, Student reporter at Student Youth Network (SYN): https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexandra-alvaro-050064108/
- Hayley Smedding and Rebecca Ashton of Tandem Partners HR: https://www.tandempartners.com.au/meet-the-team
- Dan Silver, COO Stake, Fintech startup: https://stake.com.au/
- Warren Freshe, Senior Advisor, Experiential Learning, Global Leadership and Employability, UoM: https://www.linkedin.com/in/warrenfrehse/
- Rem Tzambasis of NAB, manager, Strategic Partners and Programs: https://www.linkedin.com/in/rem-tzambazis-86b47930/
- Michelle Lau, Intern at Keep Left PR, Melbourne: https://www.linkedin.com/in/michelle-lau-95884b124/
- Patrick Omiari, Embedded systems intern at Altran: https://www.linkedin.com/in/patrickomairi/
- Hamish Taylor, reporter at the Herald Sun: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mrhamishtaylor/
- Cholena Orr, Graduate and Generalist Banker Program Manager, ANZ: https://www.linkedin.com/in/cholenaorr
- Grace Chen, final-year student studying the Bachelor of Commerce at the University of Melbourne: https://www.linkedin.com/in/grace-y-chen/
- Dr Laura Raiti, Junior Resident Medical Officer at The Royal Children's Hospital: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lauraraiti/
- Kate Mellot, Graduate trainee, ANZ Bank: https://www.linkedin.com/search/results/index/?keywords=ANZ&origin=GLOBAL_SEARCH_HEADER
- Mary Trumble, Client Solutions Manager, LinkedIn Australia: https://www.linkedin.com/in/marytrumble/
- Natasha Tan, Development Associate at The University of Melbourne: https://www.linkedin.com/in/natashatanks/
- University of Melbourne Counselling and Psychological services: https://services.unimelb.edu.au/counsel/resources
– Episode 4
Supervising producer and
Dr Andi Horvath
Buffy Gorrilla is an award-winning audio journalist and a recent graduate of the University of Melbourne’s Master of Journalism programme. Buffy has been a producer at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's (ABC) Radio National and ABC Radio Melbourne. Following a successful internship, Buffy is currently working with RN’s Blueprint for Living. She is also the producer for the Masterclass podcast from the University of Melbourne Centre for Advancing Journalism.
Ben Pawson is a communications professional that helps organisations and leaders connect to their stories. With experience across the education, arts, disability, science communication and technology sectors he did an internship in fundraising in Scotland after an MBA in France before that worked on blue chip design and marketing projects before changing careers.