Doing it – getting the most out of your internship
What do you want to get out of your internship? We look at setting goals, getting feedback and navigating office politics. Are you business mature? Do you need a mentor to figure that out? What do employers want out of you, we have a list of seven things.
Hosts, Buffy Gorrilla and Ben Pawson, talk to interns about their goals for their internship and what they want to get out of it. Plus what do they tell their supervisor they want to achieve - it might be different things…
We help you navigate all the different office personalities and revel how often they think about you! We debunk imposter syndrome and explore ways of asking for things, one of the secrets of getting the most out of your internship.
And if you have any stories about office politics or business maturity to share send them to: email@example.com We would love to hear from you.
Some of the companies and websites we mentioned in this episode:
- BMW Asia: https://www.bmw-asia.com
- Keep Left PR: https://keepleft.com.au
- Americorps: https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps
- LinkedIn Australia: https://www.linkedin.com/company/linkedin/life/
- STAKE – Fintec company allowing Aus investor to buy USA shares: https://stake.com.au
- University of Melbourne Masters of Entrepreneurship: http://study.mbs.unimelb.edu.au/study/degrees/master-of-entrepreneurship/overview
- The 7 work skills that can make you more marketable to employers in 2018: https://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/work-skills-2018-1217
- MOOCS – A directory of Australian MOOCS: https://www.mooc-list.com/tags/business
- NAB, and their several channels of internships: https://www.nab.com.au/about-us/careers
- Career Trackers: http://www.careertrackers.org.au/
This episodes features contributions from the following people and organisations.
- Hayley Smedding and Rebecca Ashton of Tandem Partners HR: https://www.tandempartners.com.au/meet-the-team
- Julia Jansen, Senior Finance Manager at HitFox Group, Berlin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/juliakjansen/
- University of Melbourne Counselling and Psychological services: https://services.unimelb.edu.au/counsel/resources
- Mary Trumble, Client Solutions Manager, LinkedIn Australia: https://www.linkedin.com/in/marytrumble/
- Dan Silver, COO Stake, Fintech startup: https://stake.com.au/
- Professor Colin McLeod: https://www.findanexpert.unimelb.edu.au/display/person82179
- Rem Tzambasis of NAB, manager, Strategic Partners and Programs: https://www.linkedin.com/in/rem-tzambazis-86b47930/
- Michelle Lau, Intern at Keep Left PR, Melbourne: https://www.linkedin.com/in/michelle-lau-95884b124/
- Hamish Taylor, reporter at the Herald Sun: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mrhamishtaylor/
- Linda Edvardsdottir: https://www.linkedin.com/in/linda-edvardsdottir-68b531117/
- David Bacon, UX Designer, Telstra Health: https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-bacon-82a7532b
- Professor Glyn Davis AC, Vice-Chancellor, University of Melbourne
- Alexandra Alvaro, Student reporter at Student Youth Network (SYN): https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexandra-alvaro-050064108/
– Episode 5
Supervising producer and
Dr Andi Horvath
Buffy Gorrilla is an award-winning audio journalist and a recent graduate of the University of Melbourne’s Master of Journalism programme. Buffy has been a producer at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's (ABC) Radio National and ABC Radio Melbourne. Following a successful internship, Buffy is currently working with RN’s Blueprint for Living. She is also the producer for the Masterclass podcast from the University of Melbourne Centre for Advancing Journalism.
Ben Pawson is a communications professional that helps organisations and leaders connect to their stories. With experience across the education, arts, disability, science communication and technology sectors he did an internship in fundraising in Scotland after an MBA in France before that worked on blue chip design and marketing projects before changing careers.