Finding an internship – what do you want to be when you grow up?
What do you want to be when you grow up? We give you three places to look, and ironically for a podcast, some visual ideas for finding your perfect internship. Tips on using your networks and the internet. And we hear from The Intern Queen, Lauren Berger.
Hosts, Buffy Gorrilla and Ben Pawson, talk to more experts, interns and counsellors to get you thinking about what you want to do, and where you can do it.
We show you how to identify your skills and preferences and recommend websites where you can find current opportunities and a different approach to dreaming up your dream career.
We look at how companies can use LinkedIn and social media to increase their exposure to the best of today’s Intern talent.
We talk to two people who interned at the big 4 accounting and strategy consulting firms, an EY aum and we heard the fascinating route one grad took into AI consulting.
Some of the websites we mentioned in this episode:
- Reviews of companies and interview processes: www.glassdoor.com
- A list of Australian companies that employ graduates or offer internships, some SME. Sponsored by the Australian Newspaper: www.top100grademployers.com.au
- As it says, intern programs, mostly formal: www.topinternprograms.com.au
- Global website, with Australian opportunities: www.gradconnection.com
- Overseas opportunities listings and resources: http://www.goinglobal.com
- Reviews of overseas opportunities: www.gooverseas.com
- What colour is my parachute, on Amazon.com.au: https://www.amazon.com.au/What-Color-Your-Parachute-2018/dp/039957963X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1523687973&sr=1-1&keywords=what+colour+is+my+parachute
This episode features contributions from the following people and organisations:
- Warren Frehse, Senior Advisor, Experiential Learning, Global Leadership and Employability, UoM
- Lauren Berger, CEO/Founder InternQueen.com
- Vivian Gleeson, Business Development Officer, Burnet Institute
- Hamish Taylor, reporter at the Herald Sun
- Grace Chen, final-year student studying the Bachelor of Commerce at the University of Melbourne
- Dhanuka Nanayakkara, Master of Engineering Candidate, University of Melbourne
- Mary Trumble, Client Solutions Manager, LinkedIn Australia
- Michelle Lau, Intern at Keep Left PR, Melbourne
– Episode 2
Supervising producer and
Dr Andi Horvath
Buffy Gorrilla is an award-winning audio journalist and a recent graduate of the University of Melbourne’s Master of Journalism programme. Buffy has been a producer at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's (ABC) Radio National and ABC Radio Melbourne. Following a successful internship, Buffy is currently working with RN’s Blueprint for Living. She is also the producer for the Masterclass podcast from the University of Melbourne Centre for Advancing Journalism.
Ben Pawson is a communications professional that helps organisations and leaders connect to their stories. With experience across the education, arts, disability, science communication and technology sectors he did an internship in fundraising in Scotland after an MBA in France before that worked on blue chip design and marketing projects before changing careers.