Getting your internship – standing out from the crowd
In a sea of people with similar skills how do you stand out? How do you let your personality shine but hide your digital dirt from companies. LinkedIn give us the scoop on a building a stellar profile, plus video interview tips to show your best side.
Hosts, Buffy Gorrilla and Ben Pawson, talk to companies about what they look for in interns, and we hear from interns who went there and got the gig, and we hear from some who did not.
How many applications should you send? 100? 20? Somewhere in the middle? We have two opinions. Now you’ve seen your dream gig, or five of them, how do you get your foot in the door? We take you from research through to interview success. We show you how to make the most of your experience, whatever it is, and how to portray it on your CV.
Although the big 4 Accountancy and management consultancy companies are not for everyone we hear from someone who went through the assessment centre and shares their insights.
Lastly, a psychologist guides us through dealing with rejection, and the isolating feelings it can bring.
And if you have any tips to share, experiences you want to get off your chest, send them all to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We would love to hear from you.
Some of the companies, tools and websites we mentioned in this episode:
- Classes & Careers, 90 seconds to make a first impression: https://blog.classesandcareers.com/advisor/what-you-wish-youd-known-before-your-job-interview/
- NAB, and their several channels of internships: https://www.nab.com.au/about-us/careers
- CASE – Council for Advancement and Support of Education: http://www.case.org/
- Earnst and Young - student careers centre: http://www.ey.com/au/en/careers/students
- And EY Interview reviews on Glassdoor.com: https://www.glassdoor.com.au/Interview/EY-Interview-Questions-E2784.htm
- STAKE - Fintec company allowing Aus investor to buy USA shares: https://stake.com.au
- ANZ bank - Summer Intern program: https://www.anz.com.au/careers/programs/summer-intern/
- Video Interview tips - Intern Queen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLK4aYNB224
- Deleting your Digital dirt: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/28/technology/personaltech/social-media-timeline.html
- Links within to tweetdelete.net and Social Book Post Manager
This episodes features contributions from the following people and organisations.
- Rem Tzambasis of NAB, manager, Strategic Partners and Programs: https://www.linkedin.com/in/rem-tzambazis-86b47930/
- Hamish Taylor, reporter at the Herald Sun: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mrhamishtaylor/
- Mary Trumble, Client Solutions Manager, LinkedIn Australia: https://www.linkedin.com/in/marytrumble/
- Michelle Lau, Intern at Keep Left PR, Melbourne: https://www.linkedin.com/in/michelle-lau-95884b124/
- Warren Frehse, Senior Advisor, Experiential Learning, Global Leadership and Employability, UoM: https://www.linkedin.com/in/warrenfrehse/
- Lauren Berger, CEO/Founder InternQueen.com: https://www.internqueen.com/content/about-lauren-berger
- Charis Palmer, Deputy Editor/Chief of Staff, The Conversation: https://theconversation.com/au/team
- Grace Chen, final-year student studying the Bachelor of Commerce at the University of Melbourne: https://www.linkedin.com/in/grace-y-chen/
- Annabelle Finkelstein, STAKE: https://www.linkedin.com/search/results/people/?facetCurrentCompany=%5B%2217955503%22%5D
- Kate Mellot, Graduate trainee, ANZ Bank: https://www.linkedin.com/search/results/index/?keywords=ANZ&origin=GLOBAL_SEARCH_HEADER
- Anders Furze, writer, critic and journalist: https://www.andersfurze.com.au/
- University of Melbourne Counselling and Psychological services: https://services.unimelb.edu.au/counsel/resources
– Episode 3
Supervising producer and
Dr Andi Horvath
Buffy Gorrilla is an award-winning audio journalist and a recent graduate of the University of Melbourne’s Master of Journalism programme. Buffy has been a producer at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's (ABC) Radio National and ABC Radio Melbourne. Following a successful internship, Buffy is currently working with RN’s Blueprint for Living. She is also the producer for the Masterclass podcast from the University of Melbourne Centre for Advancing Journalism.
Ben Pawson is a communications professional that helps organisations and leaders connect to their stories. With experience across the education, arts, disability, science communication and technology sectors he did an internship in fundraising in Scotland after an MBA in France before that worked on blue chip design and marketing projects before changing careers.