Juggling it all – and avoiding burnout
Uni...clubs... a job and now an internship! We talk to people who have burnt out, how they got there and how they got back. We get tips on relaxing from a psychologist, and how to spot that things have gone off the rails and what to do to get back on track.
In the race to stand out, pack your CV and get your dream job, or just any job you can take on too much. In this episode, we talk to interns about what made them get overextended, how burnout manifested itself and is it worth working seven days a week just to make ends meet?
We get tips on getting back in control from a psychologist and talk to a productivity hacker about how she focuses on the power of three. We ask companies how they help interns balance it all and why it’s smart to stop to speed up.
If you have any stories about burnout or how you got intern life under control we would love to hear them. Send them to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Some of the apps and services we mentioned in this episode:
- Lifeline Australia - 13 11 14 - Crisis Support and Suicide Prevention: https://www.lifeline.org.au/
- REV.com – transcription
- Otter – Transcription app
- Google keep – note taking
- Wunderlist – to do list
- Clue – period tracking app
- LastPass – password manager
- CamScanner – get rid of paper in your life!
- DuoLingo – language learning
- OneNote – Microsoft note app
- KanBan – Personal productivity tools based on Japanese lean manufacturing: https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2015/02/productivity-101-how-to-use-personal-kanban-to-visualise-your-work/
This episodes features contributions from the following people and organisations.
- Lynne Cazaly: www.lynnecazaly.com.au
- University of Melbourne Counselling and Psychological services: https://services.unimelb.edu.au/counsel/resources
- Grace Chen, a final-year student studying the Bachelor of Commerce at the University of Melbourne: https://www.linkedin.com/in/grace-y-chen/
- Caleb Triscali, Producer ABC and freelance journalist: https://www.linkedin.com/in/calebtriscari/
- Sarah Webster, Maths tutor, Musician: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sarah-webster-097908146/
- Dan Silver, COO Stake, Fintech startup: https://stake.com.au/
- Mary Trumble, Client Solutions Manager, LinkedIn Australia: https://www.linkedin.com/in/marytrumble/
– Episode 6
Supervising producer and
Dr Andi Horvath
Buffy Gorrilla is an award-winning audio journalist and a recent graduate of the University of Melbourne’s Master of Journalism programme. Buffy has been a producer at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's (ABC) Radio National and ABC Radio Melbourne. Following a successful internship, Buffy is currently working with RN’s Blueprint for Living. She is also the producer for the Masterclass podcast from the University of Melbourne Centre for Advancing Journalism.
Ben Pawson is a communications professional that helps organisations and leaders connect to their stories. With experience across the education, arts, disability, science communication and technology sectors he did an internship in fundraising in Scotland after an MBA in France before that worked on blue chip design and marketing projects before changing careers.