The internship landscape – what are you getting yourself into?
There are three ways to do an internship. Each has different benefits, but competition is stiff. Experts, employers interns and your hosts, both former interns, guide you through what employers expect and what interns get out of the experience.
Hosts, Buffy Gorrilla and Ben Pawson, explore the internship landscape in detail. If you know nothing, this is where to start. We delve into the surprising history of internships and how they help you get jobs in today's changing employability marketplace.
Employers are still using interns, but in new ways. We talk to recruiters who are changing the entry qualifications for interns - in the hope of recruiting the next generation of leaders.
We explore the pressure interns are feeling in Australia and around the world. How the pressure manifests itself and how interns are dealing with it.
We look at the data on internships, from a recent government report with representative sampling of the whole Australian population, and a more in depth report from Interns Australia on the experience of Interns today.
This episodes features contributions from the following people and organisations.
- Hamish Taylor, reporter at the Herald Sun: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mrhamishtaylor/
- Dr Laura Raiti, Junior Resident Medical Officer at The Royal Children's Hospital: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lauraraiti/
- Michelle Lau, Intern at Keep Left PR, Melbourne: https://www.linkedin.com/in/michelle-lau-95884b124/
- Hayley Smeding of Tandem Partners HR: https://www.tandempartners.com.au/
- Dr Robert Shindell, President and CEO of Internbridge: https://internbridge.com/team/
- Alexandra Alvaro, Student reporter at Student Youth Network (SYN): https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexandra-alvaro-050064108/
- Professor Allan Blackman, Director of Griffith Business School’s (GBS) Work Integrated Learning program: https://experts.griffith.edu.au/academic/a.blackman
- Charis Palmer, Deputy Editor/Chief of Staff, The Conversation: https://theconversation.com/au/team
- Cholena Orr, Graduate and Generalist Banker Program Manager, ANZ: https://www.linkedin.com/in/cholenaorr
- David Bacon, UX Designer, Telstra Health: https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-bacon-82a7532b
- Anders Furze, writer, critic and journalist: https://www.andersfurze.com.au/
- Lauren Berger, CEO/Founder InternQueen.com: https://www.internqueen.com/content/about-lauren-berger
– Episode 1
Supervising producer and
Dr Andi Horvath
Buffy Gorrilla is an award-winning audio journalist and a recent graduate of the University of Melbourne’s Master of Journalism programme. Buffy has been a producer at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's (ABC) Radio National and ABC Radio Melbourne. Following a successful internship, Buffy is currently working with RN’s Blueprint for Living. She is also the producer for the Masterclass podcast from the University of Melbourne Centre for Advancing Journalism.
Ben Pawson is a communications professional that helps organisations and leaders connect to their stories. With experience across the education, arts, disability, science communication and technology sectors he did an internship in fundraising in Scotland after an MBA in France before that worked on blue chip design and marketing projects before changing careers.