Turning an internship into a job – the guide
Doing an internship and being amazing is one thing, but it’s only a means to an end. This episode shows you how other people have transitioned to the workplace, from biotech to banking. We give you the skinny on networking, mentors and making the jump.
We look at some research about how internships lead to jobs, how degrees help and why internships are not going away and what’s going on in Portugal! We ask some super accomplished mentors what they look for when they choose who to share their wisdom with, and what you can expect from the process.
We also get the low-down on LinkedIn, using it post-internship and the three kinds of contacts you need in your network. And the two different types of contacts in your IRL network. This episode is a jazzy kickstop to our series on internships and employability, we wish you the best of luck as you start somewhere!
If anything we have said has helped, or hindered, we would love to hear from you, get in touch at: email@example.com
Some of the companies and websites we mentioned in this episode:
- LinkedIn Student guide: https://students.linkedin.com/
- The Impact of Unpaid Internships on Career Development – NACE report: http://www.naceweb.org/job-market/internships/the-impact-of-unpaid-internships-on-career-development/
- University of Melbourne Careers: https://careers.unimelb.edu.au/home
- Burnet Institute: https://www.burnet.edu.au/
- Masters of Entrepreneurship: http://study.mbs.unimelb.edu.au/study/degrees/master-of-entrepreneurship/overview
- Professor John Krumboltz, Stanford University – happenstance theory: https://ed.stanford.edu/faculty/jdk
This episodes features contributions from the following people and organisations.
- Hamish Taylor, Academic Tutor at Ormond College, The University of Melbourne: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mrhamishtaylor/
- Vivian Gleeson, Business Development Officer, Burnet Institute: https://www.linkedin.com/in/vivian-gleeson-1a2390128/
- Hayley Smeding of Tandem Partners HR: https://www.tandempartners.com.au/
- Kate Mellot, Graduate trainee, ANZ Bank.
- Dr Josh Healy, Lecturer – Management and Marketing, University of Melbourne: https://fbe.unimelb.edu.au/our-people/staff/management-and-marketing/josh-healy
- Andrew Crain – doctoral student in the Institute of Higher Education and a talent acquisition specialist for UGA Development & Alumni Relations: http://ihe.uga.edu/people/andrew-crain/
- Dr Dan Woodman is TR Ashworth Associate Professor of Sociology in the School of Social and Political Sciences: https://findanexpert.unimelb.edu.au/display/person19920
- Mary Trumble, Client Solutions Manager, LinkedIn Australia: https://www.linkedin.com/in/marytrumble/
- Professor Colin McLeod, Master of Entrepreneurship, Faculty of Business and Economics, University of Melbourne: https://www.findanexpert.unimelb.edu.au/display/person82179
- Warren Frehse, Senior Advisor, Experiential Learning, Global Leadership and Employability, UoM: https://www.linkedin.com/in/warrenfrehse/
- Rem Tzambasis of NAB, manager, Strategic Partners and Programs: https://www.linkedin.com/in/rem-tzambazis-86b47930/
- Sarah Webster, Maths tutor, Musician: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sarah-webster-097908146/
- Anders Furze, writer, critic and journalist: https://www.andersfurze.com.au/
- Anna Lemcke – Project Manager, MMVLLEN: https://www.linkedin.com/in/anna-lemcke-32260470/
- Lynne Cazaly - Author, Speaker, Facilitator: http://www.lynnecazaly.com.au/
- Professor Glyn Davis AC, Vice-Chancellor, University of Melbourne
– Episode 10
Supervising producer and
Dr Andi Horvath
Buffy Gorrilla is an award-winning audio journalist and a recent graduate of the University of Melbourne’s Master of Journalism programme. Buffy has been a producer at the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's (ABC) Radio National and ABC Radio Melbourne. Following a successful internship, Buffy is currently working with RN’s Blueprint for Living. She is also the producer for the Masterclass podcast from the University of Melbourne Centre for Advancing Journalism.
Ben Pawson is a communications professional that helps organisations and leaders connect to their stories. With experience across the education, arts, disability, science communication and technology sectors he did an internship in fundraising in Scotland after an MBA in France before that worked on blue chip design and marketing projects before changing careers.